Catalyst Records

Catalyst Records Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hacked
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:12 pm 

w

Last edited by XMoralOutrageX on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Skinhead hardcore
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:44 pm 
i need some fresh air

AF and cro-mags are the shit. Warzone just shit. I have some friends still really into that stuff I'll see what I can find.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:44 pm 
i need some fresh air

Cro-Mags are awesome, I really only came to appreciate them after reading John's book.
One insane life.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:33 am 

XMoralOutrageX wrote:
Okay, so the lyrics might be shit, but i fucking love NYC skinhead hardcore (e.g. AF, Cro-mags, Warzone, Psychos, Murphy's Law etc). Does anyone know if there are any demos/rehearsals/live recordings etc of The Psychos that I could get y hands on other than that one demo on SOD-MOD.com? And did Raybeez side project Skinhead Youth ever record anything? Beyond that, are there any HC bands with that Psychos, early Agnostic Front, 1st Madball record type vibe? Thats a ton of quesions but thanks!

there is couple of things you can get of The Psychos. two demos - the official 6 song 1984 demo and another one which is sort of reh i suppose. if you're lucky you can track down one live set from '83 and apparently there is another tape but i've never heard it. one song appears on One Big Crowd comp as well.

Skinhead Youth recorded one demo and i have their 1st set from cbgb - it's basically early Warzone songs plus some scatchy ones...

few other bands that you should check out - NEW YORK HOODS, CAUSE FOR ALARM, KRAKDOWN and my favorite ALTERCATION. use google and search thru different blogs.

David_Agranoff wrote:
AF and cro-mags are the shit. Warzone just shit. I have some friends still really into that stuff I'll see what I can find.

c'mon David. 1st and 2nd Warzone albums are classics. DFTS, DFTS is pure gold.
AF were great up to One Voice. the rest of it is rubbish. and Cro Mags - i love pretty much everything (minus "revenge" if someone wants to call it cro mags records). "best wishes" is my fave, "alpha-omega" and "aoq" to follow. even "near death experience" has amazing songs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:09 am 
i need some fresh air

There's a couple of others aswell.

Nihilistics 1st LP pretty much has that vibe.

Pick up a Straight Ahead Boot LP as that has the thrash then mosh vibe going on.

Sheer Terror Demo, skins for skins.

CFA first EP definately.

Altercation is a little more mosh though still a tough demo aswell as the WNYU set.

Forget Warzone and search out these beauts ABSOLUTION, LIFES BLOOD, COLLAPSE, BURN, OUR GANG,

I think you'll find it pretty hard to find bands that are similar to that 1st madball EP. That guitar sound tears heads off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:48 am 

Quote:
There aren't too many stories and informations about bands such as Skinhead Youth or Altercation? Have you ever attended to shows by these bands and how did they turn out? Do you have any memories about these bands? Walter said in old interview „Altercation" is one of the most underrated bands... what were you thinking about them?

PORCELL: I saw one of Skinhead Youth's only shows, it was my first real CBGB's "hardcore matinees. " The bill was Agnostic Front, Skinhead Youth, Death Before Dishonor (Mike Judge's first band), and Balls (Don Fury's band). Raybeez sang and he was saying all this racist stuff between songs so we were always really wary of him, but in his defense Raybeez definitely had a change of heart somewhere down the line and was very outspoken against hate and racism when Warzone started. Altercation were one of the most underrated bands out of that scene. They were great and I got to see them a bunch of times, although they broke up pretty quickly since the 2 main kids joined Warzone. Try to track down their demo, it smokes.

more over here: http://themeaning-thexessence.blogspot.com/

i forgot DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR. thats pre supertouch.
how could i forgot about STRAIGHT AHEAD. thanks Nick.

on the "new breed" compilation you have a couple like STAND PROUD were skinheads too. there is live set but crappy quality.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:57 pm 
i need some fresh air

Not too many people seem to know much about Altercation. I went ape over the demo when it came out though dont know where it is now.

Some of those WNYU sessions aswell.... Krakdown, Supertouch, Breakdown, Judge, Beyond..... legendary recordings. Did anyone have the Judge live tape with them covering YOT's We Just Might??? Sounded so much more brutal than YOT.

I remember that Skinhead Youth demo, there was definately a song on there called 'white' something pride or power.... who knows.

I remember Stand Proud. Demo was pretty poor, they were skins, bigged up by In Effect zine. Uber patriotic band but then so was NY anyway........

that New Breed comp is one of the greatest comps...ever....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:45 pm 
i need some fresh air

I LOVE the first Sheer Terror record. It is sick.

Hey I had Skinhead days so I rocked all that stuff and even at the time I thought Warzone sucked.

As for Cro-mags I should say I love AOQ and I like Best Wishes. Everything else I have never been able to get into. AOQ however is one of the best records ever.

When I was a skin, AF and the first Sick of it all record. People think I'm crazy but Blood sweat and no tears and the stand alone EP are the only SOIA I can stand. They two records destroy but I like nothing after.

Tried to...but I can't do it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:00 am 
i need some fresh air

As far as I'm concerned Cro-Mags is all about the demo... nothing else really, AOQ just makes it but the demo blows it away. Bad Brains, Sabbath, Maiden and Discharge sums up early CM.

I bailed SOIA after the first LP, and even that for its time was seen as way metal. Its pretty funny the way things have gone... but then I guess the Judge LP followed and that was super metal for its time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:34 am 
i need some fresh air

Yeah at the time the judge LP was like the so heavy. I remember when no escape did that split with turning point. I thought those two songs were SOOOO heavy.

I still love blood sweat and no tears it is a macho hardcore classic. It's funny I'm glad SOIA got less macho, but I like the macho stuff better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:52 am 
i need some fresh air

surehandnick wrote:
As far as I'm concerned Cro-Mags is all about the demo... nothing else really, AOQ just makes it but the demo blows it away. Bad Brains, Sabbath, Maiden and Discharge sums up early CM.

I bailed SOIA after the first LP, and even that for its time was seen as way metal. Its pretty funny the way things have gone... but then I guess the Judge LP followed and that was super metal for its time.

those times seem so innocent man.

http://directhitzine.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:18 am 
i need some fresh air

world peace is an interesting Cro-mags song for me. I love that song but I both agree and disagree with the message. I think they are right World peace probably can't be done. However I think we have to do everything we can regaurdless.

I don't know if that is their take on it honestly.

Remember the SOIA lyric "Straight edge or not doesn't matter to me I consider it a part of me."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:53 am 
i need some fresh air

If the aids dont get ya, the warheads will.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:55 am 
i need some fresh air

Didnt bother with the no escape side of the split, the TP side was too good to turn over. Best songs they did.... TP that is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:56 am 
i need some fresh air

Anyway, getting back to skinhead hardcore ... I fucking hated YDL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:42 am 

surehandnick wrote:
Anyway, getting back to skinhead hardcore ... I fucking hated YDL.

Quote:
we are not white power band. we are white pride.

classic.
i own a few YDL recs to be quite honest but the only decent song went to The Way It is.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:08 pm 

Hacked

Last edited by XMoralOutrageX on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:00 pm 
i need some fresh air

I interviewed Bloodclot in the early 90s and he was well against all the gay bashing that went on in NY.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:47 pm 

funny enough, but for a kid like myself it was tough to draw the line between WP and hc skins. especially in NYC. pretty much everyone was partiotic more or less, including YOT, in early days. also kids were going from band to band, WarZone was sharing members with GB, Rest In Pieces had some not so PC lyrics (leave alone Armand SOIA wearing Skrewdriver shirt), Token Entry dudes had In Your Face with some weird gay-related lyrics, and so on....

i guess i care less right now. listening to YDL would go hand in hand with listening to DECIDE - i may dig it musically but i despise the message in the most part.

oh, and that TP side of the split is awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 pm 

Quote:
Straight edge or not doesn't matter to me I consider it a part of me."

i belive the line is "straight edge or not dont matter to me you can be what you want to be" unless there is another version i have not heard??

AF,cromags, warzone etc are all amazing bands in their prime, not a massive fan of the modern incarnation of AF, but maximum respect for still doing what they do and giving it their all.

dont see what is stupid about the lyrics as the original thread starter said... you gotta rememebr these dudes came up in totally different times and circumstances than we did now... bands like af and warzone lived on the street in NYC... a far cry from sitting here on a computer discussing silly stuff on a messageboard... their lyrics would have been a reflection of the lives they were living... not a refelction of what they thought people wanted to ehar which is what i think alot of hardcore is these days.

anyways... a good discussion... SOIA are still amazing, anyone here have their latest? death to tyrants? one of the best records they have put out, and they are over 20 years deep as a band...

check out urban waste and reagan youth, some other great bands from that era

peace

Last edited by black_coffee on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:03 pm 
i need some fresh air

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:02 pm 
i need some fresh air

black_coffee wrote:
Quote:
Straight edge or not doesn't matter to me I consider it a part of me."

i belive the line is "straight edge or not dont matter to me you can be what you want to be" unless there is another version i have not heard??

I stand corrected, I have the OG in effect CD and it doesn't have a lyric sheet.

As for the no escape/TP split. I like the turning point songs but but I songs on the LP more. Those No Escape songs fucking rule. The song guilty by no escape fuck I'm gonna listen to it right now.

I might have a personal treat for this thread on my blog soon...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:54 pm 

all good. i too have the in effect CD, but i got the lyrics fromthe rev "7 which also features that song.

The turning point/no escape split is amazing... the turning point songs are timeless.

on the topic of cromags... to the dude who said that the 'revenge' album is terrible but 'near death experience' is good... haha you must be crazy! near death experience is borderline terrible... like a poor mans version of I against I! ah well to each his own haha

peace!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:09 am 

black_coffee wrote:
all good. i too have the in effect CD, but i got the lyrics fromthe rev "7 which also features that song.

The turning point/no escape split is amazing... the turning point songs are timeless.

on the topic of cromags... to the dude who said that the 'revenge' album is terrible but 'near death experience' is good... haha you must be crazy! near death experience is borderline terrible... like a poor mans version of I against I! ah well to each his own haha

peace!

was it me?
hmm

Quote:
and Cro Mags - i love pretty much everything (minus "revenge" if someone wants to call it cro mags record). "best wishes" is my fave, "alpha-omega" and "aoq" to follow. even "near death experience" has amazing songs.

it's interesting how you came up with all this above. you know me well i suppose. if you're talking about me then i've never said that "revenge" is terrible, son. what i did say is that it's hard for me to consider this a CM record. it's White Devil/Samsara thing released as CM to tour europe. flanagan and parris couldn't find a label to put it out under Samsara at that time. plus all good songs were previously recorded for White Devil EP and this record kills.
so if you want to know, i do like "revenge". there is at least couple of shit tunes but oh well. i can live with that.

now, NDE is mostly outtakes from A-O. borderline terrible, you say? time i am, nde, death in the womb, the other side are all amazing songs. the rest is good however the whole thing got pretty poor final production.

yes, i'm pretty crazy. but at least i'm not deaf.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:41 am 

surehandnick wrote:

thats the only one i'm missing.
lets trade Nick. i have some doubles of Together...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:21 am 

Hacked

Last edited by XMoralOutrageX on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:26 am 
i need some fresh air

surehandnick wrote:

That is pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:43 am 

Maybe not related to the older bands people have been talking about mainly in this thread.
But I really dig a band called Los Fastidios.
Well worth checking out if your into skinhead punk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ4jtmHaFHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnMeIywiNOs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:07 pm 
i need some fresh air

http://davidagranoff.blogspot.com/2008/ ... dcore.html

1990 I was in a band in this genre. We never recorded which is too bad we had 13 songs. Some were super hilariously bad, a few I would still stand behind.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:34 pm 

the essence:

my bad i misread your post, no need to catch feelings 'son'

anyways i think we can all agree that for the most part cromags rules.