Catalyst Records

Catalyst Records Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:24 am 

Was listening to ROM's Revolution Summer 10" recently and read about "Get the Kid with the Sideburns." Anybody at the show where that scuffle took place or familiar with the resulting fallout surrounding the events? Just curious.

Ben vxv

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:39 am 
i need some fresh air

Always been curious about this myself. Love both bands, don't really care that much...but the majority of us younger kids weren't around to hear the rumours first hand, thus everything I've heard is probably really just added lies to the story.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:04 pm 
i need some fresh air

Reversal of Man (if i remember correctly) made a song that was a parody of Firestorm, and pretty much made fun of the whole militant vegan/straight edge teenager phenomenon.

"An idea
Like no other
Ruined
And Tangled

Get the kid with the sideburns

Into a contradictive
Statement

Street by street
Block by block
You hypocritcal fucks
You and Tony Victory
Are nothing but corporate rock
You stand and call us fags
Leave the show with money bags
"

although this might have been after there was already some kind of drama, i know ROM was pretty outspoken against jock-ish attitudes in hardcore.

an interview:
http://www.operationphoenixrecords.com/ ... erview.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:10 pm 
i need some fresh air

The song was after the incident. It was another case of people throwing shit at earth crisis trying to make them mad and then being shocked when they actually did. I don't agree with there reaction but like the middle sex show, they ignored that stuff forever, they just got to point where they felt the couldn't take it anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:13 pm 

I personally feel like the jockish attitudes had more to do with the people in the scene at the time
than ExC themselves. Karl never gave me the impression that he was some meat head jock
that would kick someones ass on a whim. However I can attest from seeing it with my own eyes
that certainly was the prevailing attitude of most of the scene kids during that time.

unity within the "scene" is a contradiction. i don't unite with what i despise. don't go along, i won't get along in this united scene dream. i won't pretend to care and waste my time, waste my time on you.

http://www.myspace.com/xveganjihadx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:11 pm 
i need some fresh air

It's something they have decided to keep private for the most part, and i think it's a mistake. The ROM thing played a role in why Kris Weichman was dropped from the band. It took two other incidents but his behavior on the night in question played a role.

I think they should have been more open.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:04 pm 

David_Agranoff wrote:
The song was after the incident. It was another case of people throwing shit at earth crisis trying to make them mad and then being shocked when they actually did. I don't agree with there reaction but like the middle sex show, they ignored that stuff forever, they just got to point where they felt the couldn't take it anymore.

Was this particular show one where meat was thrown at Karl? Why would ROM or those affiliated with them throw shit at Earth Crisis?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:32 pm 
i need some fresh air

I don't think ROM themselves threw meat at them, I'm not sure someone threw anything at them, I meant in general. It happened in florida so I'm not sure. All I know for sure is that Kris Weichman was kicked out(in part) over it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:04 pm 
i need some fresh air

did someone in eXc at this time says crap to them about being gay in a bad way?
eXc got a lot of crap from a lot of people.in SD it was always that they played at a bar,canes.or at the venue SOMA.
well any band that plays at soma still gets crap.i find it odd,cause i see the shit talkers there.and i saw most of the people who loved to talk shit on eXc at their soma shows.id walk into the bathroom and hear it right there.why pay for a show that you know your not gonna enjoy and just talk smack the whole time.lame!
also,the guitarists from unbroken would heckle eXc from the dance floor.shouting out lame shit.the shit went on at the che cafe a lot too.i remember the crowd giving face value shit cause they were from Cleveland.i had to say sorry to the singer,and he asked me whats wrong with the people here.too many bands get too much shit from the crowd.
another time was the guys from struggle.at che cafe.they heckled 108 for chanting.thats lame too.

vsXe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:51 am 
i need some fresh air

David_Agranoff wrote:
I don't think ROM themselves threw meat at them, I'm not sure someone threw anything at them, I meant in general. It happened in florida so I'm not sure. All I know for sure is that Kris Weichman was kicked out(in part) over it.

Is there an offcial explanation to why Kris got kicked out? What do you think was the reason?
(The kid who said talking stuff about people on the internet sux is asking here :D)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:22 pm 
i need some fresh air

Kimmo wrote:
David_Agranoff wrote:

Is there an offcial explanation to why Kris got kicked out? What do you think was the reason?
(The kid who said talking stuff about people on the internet sux is asking here :D)

No offcial reason, There were lots of little things but I don't think there was one thing. I think also they sensed he didn't take it seriously anymore. Eric was as Karl would say "200% vegan straight edge" and they were all better friends with him.

I always thought it was too bad Jim Winters didn't move up to syracuse and join the band after Ben left. I don't think he wanted to move, but that would have been awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:05 pm 

David_Agranoff wrote:

I always thought it was too bad Jim Winters didn't move up to syracuse and join the band after Ben left. I don't think he wanted to move, but that would have been awesome.

i'm with you. having Jim they would hopefully hit a bit different direction musicwise and on the personal note, i'd like to see that.

also, i used to hate bands like ROA. maybe "hate" is not a perfect word to describe my feelings and i couldn't tolerate shit like that.

Last edited by the essence on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:41 pm 
i need some fresh air

Jethic has a video of Winters playing in chicago with EXC, his guitar head keeps going out. kinda funny.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 pm 

David_Agranoff wrote:
Jethic has a video of Winters playing in chicago with EXC, his guitar head keeps going out. kinda funny.

i need to scan my pics....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:55 pm 
i need some fresh air

David_Agranoff wrote:

Was Jim Winters the guy who played in Conviction? Was he the guy who played in the christian metal band Believer? And finally (I have a lot of questions :) ); is the guy Kurt Believer, who produced ExC's Destroy The Machines Kurt Bachman, who played in Believer as well?
I just think this is quite an interesting combination :)
For the record, some of my friends are into Believer and I think theyre a decent metal band as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:26 pm 
i need some fresh air

Kimmo wrote:
David_Agranoff wrote:

Was Jim Winters the guy who played in Conviction? Was he the guy who played in the christian metal band Believer? And finally (I have a lot of questions :) ); is the guy Kurt Believer, who produced ExC's Destroy The Machines Kurt Bachman, who played in Believer as well?

Yes. They were really into that record at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:12 pm 
i need some fresh air

i have this vid?
ill have to go through my vids.

vsXe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:44 pm 
i need some fresh air

Yes I'm positive, it was a chicago show, because it was the show the day the day before they played indiana with 'with authority' and we had to get Jim to a guitar shop to buy some strange part.

We watched that video at your apartment in north park. 100% positive on the same tape that had that showcase show from right after destroy the machines. Great videos. Wish I had them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:52 pm 
i need some fresh air

i know which tape your talking about.i got that footage from a guy who posts here.markosis.hit him up for copies.
but i still need to get em to another format.

vsXe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:05 pm 

jim winters.
yeah, it's me.
figured i'd ride an "ego-boost" and google my name. lo and behold...here i am.

ec - they never "officially" asked me to join the band.
i was also trying to get vigil off the ground which took priority at that time.
as far as dtm - kurt from believer was not really involved with the recording. believer's drummer was and myself.
as far as kris' departure... some members (and kris) were involved in some syracuse univ. revenge/drama. from memory, he basically ratted them out when when questioned.

the rom shit - there's 3 sides to every story and one is the truth.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm 
i need some fresh air

jxw wrote:
jim winters.
yeah, it's me.

as far as dtm - kurt from believer was not really involved with the recording. believer's drummer was and myself.
as far as kris' departure... some members (and kris) were involved in some syracuse univ. revenge/drama. from memory, he basically ratted them out when when questioned.

the rom shit - there's 3 sides to every story and one is the truth.

what's up jim!?

stop googling your own name, haha.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:56 pm 

what's up?
it was actually yahoo search so...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:23 pm 
i need some fresh air

jxw wrote:
jim winters.
yeah, it's me.

Well between you, me and the universe they should have. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:09 pm 
i need some fresh air

Propagandhi - Firestorm, My Ass

heard a song and i counted out loud the two-steps, the goose-steps back. back from square one, from where we'd just begun, and then it rang a bell-but is this kristallnacht or what the fuck is your plan? would you care to expand? and i don't deny the choice, but I defy you as the voice of anything i've stood for in these past 9 years, i've conquered the nurturing and found that anything worth conquering is powered, built and backed by fear, not by fact. and having said that... meat is still murder. dairy is still rape. and i'm still as stupid as anyone, but i know my mistakes. i have recognized one form of oppression, now i recognize the rest. and life's too short to make another's shorter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 pm 
i need some fresh air

straight from the inside wrote:
Propagandhi - Firestorm, My Ass

heard a song and i counted out loud the two-steps, the goose-steps back. back from square one, from where we'd just begun, and then it rang a bell-but is this kristallnacht or what the fuck is your plan? would you care to expand? and i don't deny the choice, but I defy you as the voice of anything i've stood for in these past 9 years, i've conquered the nurturing and found that anything worth conquering is powered, built and backed by fear, not by fact. and having said that... meat is still murder. dairy is still rape. and i'm still as stupid as anyone, but i know my mistakes. i have recognized one form of oppression, now i recognize the rest. and life's too short to make another's shorter.

these lyrics seem to come from someone who never really read the lyrics to Firestorm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:18 pm 
i need some fresh air

I like Propagandhi and they have great lyrics, but of course see their attacks on straight-edge as counterproductive and not fighting the real enemy. And I think a lot of sxe kids like them, even as they claim to be so anti-sxe. Maybe it will be better if they have hilarious lyrics against the apolitical sxe kids, wearing nike, drinking coke etc. instead of parodying Earth Crisis. Same for the ROM of course.

This lyrics are more hilarious:
Quote:
Good Clean Fun - In Defence of All Life

Peaceful protest doesn't get the job done
So I wake up for the rally grab my soy milk and my gun
Breakfast with the family get the grub on see what's up
Then I saw my sister had milk in her cup
I jumped out of my chair and sprayed her with my mace
I yelled "vegan power," and I kicked her in the face
Dad was bugging, he started to run
But he's a meat eater so I pulled out my gun
Shot him in the back, then I shot his wife
That's how it's got to be in defense of all life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:59 pm 
i need some fresh air

Love Propagandhi. Hate Good Clean Fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:25 pm 
i need some fresh air

Revengeance wrote:
Love Propagandhi. Hate Good Clean Fun.

i like Propagandhi. but yeah, never liked GCF

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:03 pm 
i need some fresh air

The thing about GCF is (I find, probably because I'm young) is that when I first got into hardcore, I thought it was pretty funny. Didn't really clue into the fact that they're just a bunch of fucking jokers. Heard so many dumb stories about that band. The whole joke band thing is just kinda dumb to me. I like a band that can laugh at themselves, and has a good sense of humour (which is why I like Propagandhi), but I just think it's dumb making fun of/mocking everything you supposedly take a part of.

New Propagandhi album out this year. Shit is going to be a rager.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:03 am 
i need some fresh air

you may know this article about crucial youth http://www.uncarved.org/blog/2005/02/punk-comics-3/
this is how the joke shit about straight edge has started.