Catalyst Records

Catalyst Records Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:37 am 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm
Posts: 1281
Location: UK
heya, I just for my own fun and accomplishment want to have the largest hardline music folder on Soulseek. Can you shift me a list of bands to check out and download, or buy and upload, whichever. I'm aware that this topic has been covered plenty of times. the hardline vhs thread and the list of FORGOTTEN hardline bands.

at the moment i have::

raid
abnegation
vegan reich
slavearc

downloaded haha, help? (i've looked on the wikkipedia definition also).

sorry to bring it up, again. I just want a final defining list of bands for the hardline music genre.

PS - nice interview david, taken from the value of strength #5 issue, Entitled "David Agranoff of Upstate Hardline", very detailed answers.

Soulseek is a goldmine for literature and rare music, anyone somehow unfamiliar with it::

http://www.slsknet.org

Cheers guys (and girls if any ever use this board).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 142
Abnegation?

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/sanszu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:24 am 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm
Posts: 1281
Location: UK
Micah wrote:
Abnegation?


So I hear! If I'm wrong then maybe you give me a list? 8) :P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:49 am 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:57 pm
Posts: 1566
Location: PDX (Indiana O.G.)
Only 2 members of abnegation were every apart of a hardline chapter, and I think Micah's reaction is mostly because Donnie and Iggy were super into it anyways. Donnie was a pretty big goofball, I doubt he could quote vanguard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:33 am 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm
Posts: 1281
Location: UK
David_Agranoff wrote:
Only 2 members of abnegation were every apart of a hardline chapter, and I think Micah's reaction is mostly because Donnie and Iggy were super into it anyways. Donnie was a pretty big goofball, I doubt he could quote vanguard.


David, you can do better than that. 5 years of your life, writing literature and zines about hardline. Pleasse may you give me the longest list of hardline bands ever? Granted, I am not hardline, just interested in the ideology and purity of it all! Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 142
Nah, i just never knew that Iggy would have described it as such. "Hardline band" always meant - to me at least - a band that was representing Hardline ideologically, not just a band with Hardline members. If we're going for just members then don't forget Outcast. BJ looking tough convinced more people that i knew to go vegan than did any Hardline flyers or zines haha.

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/sanszu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:45 am 
Offline
i need some fresh air
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:02 am
Posts: 483
Location: NJ
Outcast - holy shit. I met brian when i was 16 (1995) and i remember being so fucking scared; the guy was huge and kind of had the whole courage crew thing reppin hard. he turned out to be one of the nicest dudes in the world though. if memory serves me though i think brian did claim hardline,but as for the rest of the band i think they had some non-edge members.

_________________
http://capacitiesnj.bandcamp.com
http://lesslife.bandcamp.com
http://onepathforme.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 142
When i knew them (i still "know" Chris, i suppose in the mySpace sense haha), they were all straightedge and three of the... five (?) of them were Hardline. BJ was tough as nails for kids i knew back then but PCline (forgive me for being crass but there did seem to be a PCline haha), gave him unending shit for eating refined sugar, fructose, and all the other sorts of things that Sean had eaten all along (and never denied eating, to my knowledge). That sort of peer pressure drove out all the remotely "hard"liners out of Hardline during that wave. Everyone else who got tough did so over the course of the years that followed, through training but none were particularly from tough backgrounds like old Dayton Hardline dudes were.

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/sanszu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 am
Posts: 9
Location: Balashikha
Canon was a vegan band but to say the truth i dunno were they a harline band or not. but the band is great! also you should to check out Framework, Gatekeeper, Sevin and a Chorus of Disapproval for example! these bands was the first that crossed my mind!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:33 pm 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 333
Location: Germany
Leonid wrote:
Canon was a vegan band but to say the truth i dunno were they a harline band or not. but the band is great! also you should to check out Framework, Gatekeeper, Sevin and a Chorus of Disapproval for example! these bands was the first that crossed my mind!

canon wasn't a hardline band. they even had a flyer against hardline in their 7".

_________________
Image
http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/neverxagain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:15 pm 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm
Posts: 1281
Location: UK
Does anyone have a list of hardline bands and their releases?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:58 am 
Offline
i need some fresh air
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:02 am
Posts: 483
Location: NJ
micah - the time we played with outcast they had 2 singers, one of which i don't think was edge. i'm not sure how long that lineup lasted, that was around 1995. there was another guy named kevin that we met on that trip out to dayton, he played bass for outcast i think. he was pretty nice as well. are those guys still around?

_________________
http://capacitiesnj.bandcamp.com
http://lesslife.bandcamp.com
http://onepathforme.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:58 am 
Offline
i need some fresh air
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:51 pm
Posts: 2188
Location: Broad x Ripple
ifp wrote:
micah - the time we played with outcast they had 2 singers, one of which i don't think was edge. i'm not sure how long that lineup lasted, that was around 1995. there was another guy named kevin that we met on that trip out to dayton, he played bass for outcast i think. he was pretty nice as well. are those guys still around?


Kevin went on to sing in Morning again, i think the other one was Chris, but i'm not sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am
Posts: 142
Kevin played bass or guitar and yes he went on to MA. BJ and Chris were the singers. BJ was HL and Chris agreed with everything except for the abortion issue; highlighted in their song "Split Choice," where each yelled out their positions on the matter.

_________________
http://www.facebook.com/sanszu


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:13 am
Posts: 45
Sevin are well worth a check, that 7" is incredible. It just breaks my heart that they have an anti abortion song.

Also, I dunno if they're hardline, but lifer are really good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:22 pm 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 10:07 am
Posts: 333
Location: Germany
xsamx wrote:
lifer are really good.

haha yeah! "i fight for their liberation even if it takes a human life"

_________________
Image
http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/neverxagain


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:03 pm 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:11 am
Posts: 991
Location: Cincinnati,Ohio
xUNBORNx wrote:
xsamx wrote:
lifer are really good.

haha yeah! "i fight for their liberation even if it takes a human life"


Yeah, but it's weird how different each of the songs on their 7" are. Like one has an Earth Crisis kind of feel and others have a faster 80's hardcore punk feel or something. Still really awesome, glad I found that 7" for 99 cents last year!

_________________
God be with you, because I won't be.
We are not the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:37 am 
Offline
i need some fresh air
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:02 am
Posts: 483
Location: NJ
xsamx wrote:
Sevin are well worth a check, that 7" is incredible. It just breaks my heart that they have an anti abortion song.

Also, I dunno if they're hardline, but lifer are really good.



the only person who ever claimed hardline in sevin was the singer, a guy named eric. we never had an anti-abortion song. we had one song called 'stillborn' which was about the effects of drug and alcohol abuse while pregnant. other than that the band was a mixed bag on the topic of abortion with some differing opinions. eric wrote all the lyrics, so i think most of the songs lyrically were an expression of his views and not the band as a whole. i was 16 at the time and could barely play guitar, listening to my playing on those recordings would probably make me cringe (i've stated this in previous threads about this subject).

i'm told after the band broke up that eric got more into hardline, perhaps david can elaborate if he wishes.

_________________
http://capacitiesnj.bandcamp.com
http://lesslife.bandcamp.com
http://onepathforme.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:13 am
Posts: 45
ifp wrote:
xsamx wrote:
Sevin are well worth a check, that 7" is incredible. It just breaks my heart that they have an anti abortion song.

Also, I dunno if they're hardline, but lifer are really good.



the only person who ever claimed hardline in sevin was the singer, a guy named eric. we never had an anti-abortion song. we had one song called 'stillborn' which was about the effects of drug and alcohol abuse while pregnant. other than that the band was a mixed bag on the topic of abortion with some differing opinions. eric wrote all the lyrics, so i think most of the songs lyrically were an expression of his views and not the band as a whole. i was 16 at the time and could barely play guitar, listening to my playing on those recordings would probably make me cringe (i've stated this in previous threads about this subject).

i'm told after the band broke up that eric got more into hardline, perhaps david can elaborate if he wishes.


Sorry dude. I must've mis-interpreted the lyrics on stillborn!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 am
Posts: 9
Location: Balashikha
ifp

you say that you played in Sevin on the guitar and participated in the recording of Heaven's Deception 7" (1995)?! wow! it's just incrediable! what a coincidence! could you tell me more about your band (Sevin) please as i have a very little information about your band?! more precisely tell me everything about Sevin please (you can PM me if you want)! did you play in it from the beginning? to tell the truth i'm very excited! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 am
Posts: 9
Location: Balashikha
by the way, Kurt check your PM please!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 am
Posts: 9
Location: Balashikha
Gatekeeper - Demo (1994) (192 kbit/s):
http://www.mediafire.com/?mgzetmzzj1n

maybe it would be useful to someone :) an excellent record from a vegan hardline band from Syracuse, New York!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:53 pm 
Offline
i need some fresh air

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm
Posts: 1281
Location: UK
Leonid wrote:
Gatekeeper - Demo (1994) (192 kbit/s):
http://www.mediafire.com/?mgzetmzzj1n

maybe it would be useful to someone :) an excellent record from a vegan hardline band from Syracuse, New York!


A useful post, thankyou!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by Vegan Straight Edge