Catalyst Records

Catalyst Records Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:20 pm 

Two words or one? I generally say "straight edge" but I like "straightedge" as well, particularly in the context of "vegan straightedge."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:36 pm 

Let me just say that I understand the Minor Threat song was called "Straight Edge" (two words) but this doesn't mean the it always and forever has to remain two words. There is some historical precedent for saying "straightedge" as one word while also abbreviating it as just "edge", too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:14 pm 
i need some fresh air

I wouldn't say it particularly matters at all, but I generally type "Straight-Edge".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:21 am 
i need some fresh air

two words, i think "straightedge" as one word is a european invention. germans like to squeeze all of their words together.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:29 am 

Haha, I have noticed that Europeans often don't use hyphens unlike in the U.S., for example the term "anti-speciesist" is written instead as "antispeciesist." Maybe the same happened when "straight-edge" was shortened to "straightedge"? However, the first time I saw it written as one word was on a U.S. band's album - Earth Crisis writes on the back cover of Destroy the Machines: "DEDICATED TO THE VEGAN STRAIGHTEDGE."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:04 pm 

kurt wrote:
two words, i think "straightedge" as one word is a european invention. germans like to squeeze all of their words together.
notheyrenotstoptellinglies.
at least not all of them.

i know a lot of sxe people here in germany and i never saw one of them writing it as one word in a IM- or mail-conversation. i think in german it just doesn't sound as one word. but from many US bands and native english speaking people i heard it like one word because of accent or stuff like that. i have made the experience that english speaking persons tent to speed up and mumble (not shure if that's the word) when they're speaking. i also think accentuation isn't that important in english, which leads to a very smooth wordflow and may have caused to combine the words straight and edge to straightedge. so, it's just a speed-up accentuation-free version.

but, who cares if it's "straight edge", "straightedge", "Straight Edge", "straight-edge" or whatever? why should that be important?

btw. about 6 years ago i made myself a hoodie that says " straight edge - not just two words". just saying

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:02 pm 

i like one word. then its not connected to the other implications of straight 1edge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:08 pm 

straightXedge covers both versions :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:07 pm 

xPeterx wrote:
but, who cares if it's "straight edge", "straightedge", "Straight Edge", "straight-edge" or whatever? why should that be important

One reason is that the word "straight" one it's own has multiple meanings, one of them referring to sexual orientation. Since many straight edgers often just use "edge" to refer to straight edge, I think we should make it one word when saying "vegan straightedge" so that the uninformed don't think we are trying to highlight our sexual orientation (for those of us who are straight) as homophobes like to do. For example, there's an Urban Dictionary entry for "Gay Edge" to refer to someone straight edge who is also gay: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... Gay%20Edge

From now on I am going to use "straightedge" as one word when writing "vegan straightedge" since "vegan straight edge" could be taken as "vegan + straight + edge" rather than "vegan + straight edge" and making it "vegan straightedge" helps fix this potential problem.